we made this busy board for Preston when he was about a year old. We’ve slowly been adding to it, and it’s pretty much done for the most part!
He loves playing with it and so does the little boy I babysit for on occasion!
We used a variety of things and found them at Lowes, Ace, or Wal-Mart!
- Street address numbers 1-5
- (3) door stoppers – fun for flicking!
- (2) wheels for spinning 🙂
- (3) drawer pulls in two different colors
- A chain lock
- a large drawer pull handle to hang things on
- a light switch
- a mailbox flag
- wooden letter to display the alphabet and vowels
- wooden circles that I painted purple and white – attached with velcro
- random wooden shapes, an apple, and a few animals. I painted them and attached them with Velcro!
- door knobs for turning
we added the letters more recently because Preston is obsessed! He’s known how to identify almost all of the letters in the alphabet since he was 18 months old. In the picture above he’s pointing to the letters and naming them!
Because of this board, Preston can now identify and say, butterfly (bub-By) bird (buwd) apple, snail (nose) lol! The last one cracks me up!!
I think I’m going to super glue a quarter, dime, nickel, and penny on there eventually. (On the right hand side, vertically, by the end of the alphabet.) That way he can learn to identify those. He is also obsessed with change and putting it into his piggy bank. 🙂
We made it on MDF particle board. I painted it and hubby did most of the hard work, I superglued the letters and velcrowed the shapes/animals.
We did attach the board to the wall so it can’t fall on Preston. But we plan on leaving it there until we are finished having kids! 😛
here is a better look at it!
Hopefully your kids enjoy it just as much as ours does!
…until next time! Xoxo